Welcome to Springmead
We hope that you find this website useful, whether or not you are a pupil, parent, carer or interested member of the community. Below is some useful information about the school.
Context and location
• There are two classes in each year group except for the current Y4 which has three classes. The catchment is mixed and extensive, and pupils are drawn from most wards as well as occasionally from outside Welwyn Garden City.
• Only about half of our pupils live in the immediate Panshanger ward, while others come from a wider catchment area encompassing nine further wards
• Around 14% of pupils are eligible for free school meals; this is below the national average but the number is rising
• About 6% of pupils are identified as having special educational needs. This proportion has fallen due not to a changing pupil profile but because we are becoming more successful at addressing additional needs
• The school population is generally stable, with virtually no movement to other local schools. Any mobility generally arises from families moving out of the area
• The school hosts a Primary Support Base (PSB) for pupils who have SEBD (social, emotional and behavioural difficulties), drawn from Welwyn and Hatfield schools.
• The proportion of pupils from minority ethnic groups, and those whose first language is not English, is below the national average. However, we have around thirty different languages represented in the school, with just a few pupils in each group.
Naace ICT Mark (2014) (for best practice in computing)
Arts Mark (2010) Currently in process of re-accreditation
Healthy Schools Award 2013
Green Flag Eco Award (Gold standard) (2013)
Investors in People from 2002, re-accredited 2008, review 2013
International Schools Award September 2013
Click here for more information.